Windward House in Camden is the perfect fall foliage touring destination for the New England Coast. Here is one of our favourite scenic drives during leaf peeping season. Here is a great tour, and links to a website and a wonderful video of Midcoast Maine fall foliage touring. For another great Maine Fall Foliage touring idea, check out the Maine Wine Trail page. The Maine Wine Trail contains a map and information on some great Maine vineyards and distilleries along some amazingly scenic roads!
Foliage & Water Views the Trip North To Camden Tour Route
About Three Hours, Many Great Stops and Area Attractions
Wiscaset to Appleton via Camden and Back to Camden
- From Wiscasset take US 1 north to Newcastle and into the shop-lined streets of Damariscotta.
- Take 130 south to the fishing village of New Harbor and the lighthouse and crashing surf at Pemaquid Point. In Pemaquid, visit the Fisherman’s Museum, For William Henry and the Colonial Pemaquid Restoration.
- Take 32 north to Waldoboro, then 220 south to Friendship; go northeast on 97 and Upper Cross Road through Cushing to Thomaston. Drive down the St. George Peninsula to Port Clyde; pick up US 1 to Rockland. While there have a great lunch at the Brown Bag or if you really want a treat, Amalfi on the Water, and maybe check out the Farnsworth Museum.
- Then take the next short hop up Route 1 to Camden -we can’t say enough nice things about that Camden!
- Check in at the Camden Windward House Bed & Breakfast, have some delicious old fashioned home baked blueberry muffins or cappuccino muffins or oatmeal raisin cookies, and Windward House Blend coffee or perhaps some English tea. Then after you are fully refreshed, travel east to Lincolnville for dramatic foliage views of Mt. Battie.
- If you are in a hiking mood, pull off at the Carriage Trail, or the Maiden’s Cliff both right turns off Mountain Street, and enjoy a vista that changes as you climb showing the world to be a many faceted gem of red gold auburn, farm fields and far off hills and mountains, until reaching the top when you also have the quilt of the Atlantic broken with the green feathered islands of the bay.
- Take 173 west to Lincolnville Center, then south on 235 to Hope;
- northwest on 105 to 131; then south on 105/131 through Appleton to 17 at Union.
- Turn left on 17 and head back to 90.
- Turn left on Simonton, and right on Mechanic street and head back into Camden.
For up to date reports and a map that indicates by colors where the foliage is peaking in the state of Maine, check out their official fall foliage website! Once you’ve driven our tour, you can even send them your own fall foliage report. It’s fun.